Saturday, January 22, 2011

Do Fairy Tales come True?

We all grew up listening to fairy tales...how can be blamed if we bought into them? I really DID want to be a princess, I really DID want to be rescued and adored by the handsome, doting, powerful prince. After a series of painful experiences with whom I believed to be royalty, I realized this prince thing was not working. I love this quote by Tom Robbins, "We are our own dragons as well as our own hero's, and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves."

What we were not told in regard to the fairy tales, is that each of the characters is an aspect of ourselves. I needed to find my inner hero, before he could show up in my life. I needed to love me, in order to attract true love! It is so simple...but far from easy.

Loving from the "Inside Out" is putting ourselves at the top of our Love List – Not expecting to meet someone that gives our lives greater meaning or completes us. Learning to listen deeply to that still small voice within, and make ourselves a priority, is not something most of us are taught at home or in the class room. Most of us are taught to behave, do as we are told, be quiet, get good grades, clean the bathroom, etc. We learn we have to be a certain way and do certain things to earn acceptance and approval. The problem is, as we venture into the world, this "Outside In" way of being doesn't work very well.

It is an enormous transition to go from other-oriented to self-oriented, but this is when life can really start to work. To ask oneself "what honors me now" or "what does loving myself look like right now" and acting upon the information that comes forward, can start to change our relationship with ourselves and improve our lives almost immediately.

Now that I take care of myself first and foremost, I have more to give to others. I give from a place of abundance and overflow, rather than a deficit depletion and exhaustion. I no longer look to others to take care of me or replenish me, but I do receive support graciously when offered. I now live a life of greater gratitude and grace - because I am no longer running on fumes!

So, are you ready to make yourself more important in your own life? Are you ready to be higher on your list of priorities? What would life look like from this perspective? How would it feel? I promise, not only you have more energy, you will attract more generous and loving people - because you are being generous and loving with yourself. As Buddha has said “You as much as anyone deserves your own love!” If you commit to treating yourself with more love, compassion and affection, your life will undoubtedly transform in miraculous, exquisite and wonderful ways! Write to me with questions and to share your stories. I would LOVE to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment